"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

In memoriam: Donalda Nelson (1915-2014)

One of Great Village's most beloved residents, Donalda Nelson, died on Sunday, 27 July 2014. I met Donalda many years ago when I began my work on Elizabeth Bishop. She was one of the most gracious and generous people I have ever known. Whenever I visited Great Village, I was always welcome to visit and, invariably, we had tea and cookies -- tea made in "Margaret's teapot" -- the best tea ever. As I got to know her, and witnessed and benefited from her keen and compassionate insights about life, I began to say, with sincerity and conviction that I wanted to be like Donalda when I grew up. She was a shining light in this troubled world. I always came away from a visit with Donalda feeling uplifted and grateful, wiser and inspired. Her service will be in Great Village on Friday, 1 August 2014. Her obituary is viewable here: http://www.mattatallvarnerfh.com/obituaries/90222


No comments:

Post a Comment