"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Launch of Elizabeth Bishop: Nova Scotia’s “Home-Made” Poet, by Sandra Barry


I am delighted to say that my book about Elizabeth Bishop will soon be launched. Those who know me understand that getting to this point has been s a long, complex journey. Nimbus is calling it a “pictorial biography” which I like – it is a little book with lots of interesting pictures – which is always fun. A brief account of her life with a focus on her connection to Nova Scotia, this book will, I hope, be a good introduction for many Nova Scotians and Canadians who have yet to discover her – and a way for the wider world to learn more about the deep and abiding link she had with her childhood home. Those who know me understand that this little book is not all I have to say about Elizabeth Bishop, but it is a compression I feel good about because I think it is of a size that will draw in readers who do not want to wade through academic or critical works about this important poet.

I am most grateful to all the people who have supported me over the past twenty years, as I have explored and lived with Elizabeth Bishop and Nova Scotia, family and friends without whom my work would not be possible. I will not name them because they know who they are and I hope they know the depth of my gratitude.

I am launching it in Halifax on 10 May (the above poster gives the details) and then in Great Village on Saturday, 14 May 2011, at 1:30 p.m. in the Elizabeth Bishop House (8740 Highway 2, Great Village, N.S.) – this latter is very special and appropriate because the EB House was the centre of her childhood universe and now has become a place where artists find inspiration and quietude to create.

The book is be available locally (in NS and across Canada) at bookstores -- please try to buy it at an independent bookstore (in Halifax I am particularly partial to BookMark). You can also get it through the publisher: www.nimbus.ca. However, I know a many people order online. It is available through Amazon.ca and in the fall will be available through Amazon.com. The ISBN is: 978155109234.

No comments:

Post a Comment